1. Do I need a visa to enter Bulgaria?
For residents of the EU and the USA, no visa is required for up to a 90-day stay in Bulgaria. For information about other countries, see the following site: www.mfa.bg/en/pages/view/85
2. Is the use of credit cards wide spread?
In large stores, hotels, and catering and entertainment establishments, the following credit cards are generally accepted: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Diners Club. In smaller stores, hotels, and catering and entertainment establishments, it is necessary to pay in cash.
3. What currency is used for daily transactions in the country?
At present, only BGN (lev) is accepted. The official currency of the country is the lev, which is equal to 100 stotinki).
4. What is the best way to exchange currency?
All banks and licensed exchange offices are suitable for exchanging currency.
5. Where are the international airports in the country?
There are international airports in Sofia, Plovdiv, Varna and Burgas. Direct charter flights are available to the Black Sea airports in Varna and Burgas during the summer season.
6. Which are the mobile operators in the country?
Vivacom, Globul and Mtel. They cover the entire territory of the country. They maintain 2G and 3G networks and GSM 900/1800.
7. What are the speed limits for motor vehicles in Bulgaria?
50 km/h in populated areas; 90 km/h outside populated areas; 130 km/h on limited access highways.
8. What is the country’s emergency telephone number?
9. Bulgaria is located in which time zone?
Bulgaria is located in the Eastern European Time Zone, which is GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) +2 hours.
10. What is the electric voltage in the country?
11. Can I rent a car in Bulgaria?
Visitors can hire motor vehicles from one of the international rent-a-car companies such as Hertz, Budget, Eurocar, and others. Also, many hotels now offer this service through licensed Bulgarian car rental companies.
12. What is the climate in Bulgaria?
The climate in the country is temperate continental, with Mediterranean influence in the southern parts. The Black Sea influences the climate in the eastern part of the country. There are about 2,000 sunny hours from May to October. During the winter, the mountains are particularly suitable for winter sports.
13. Which season is best for visiting the country?
The most appropriate time for a visit depends on the reason for your trip. The most suitable months for skiing are December, January, February and March. If you are interested in visiting the Black Sea beaches – June, July, August and September. If you are a hiker or camper, the most appropriate times are the late spring, the beginning of summer and early autumn. Any time of year is a good time to visit one of Bulgaria’s many spa resorts.
14. Which are the largest sea resorts?
Sunny Beach, Golden Sands, Albena, Dyuni, Elenite, MMC Primorsko, St. Konstantin and St. Helena and the cities of Varna and Burgas.
15. Which are the country’s best-known mountain resorts?
Borovets, Pamporovo, Bansko and Vitosha.