Stuffed cabbage leafs
In this video you will see step by step how to prepare this irresistible, classic, vegan recipe for sauerkraut with rice.
- 1 head green cabbage (can also be pickled cabbage, sauerkraut)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 400 g rice
- 1 head onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 tomatoe
- 1 stalk of fresh celery
- 6 springs parsley
- 8 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp.savory
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash the cabbage and cut the cob.
- In a deep saucepan, bring water to a boil and add salt. Put the cabbage in the pot with the carved part down and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Then remove and cool with cold water. Cut the cobs on the leaves and save them. If you use sauerkraut, proceed directly to the preparation of the filling.
- Cut the onion into small pieces and fry it for about a minute in hot sunflower oil together with the grated carrot.
- Add the rice and fry for about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until glassy. Sprinkle with paprika and pour about 400 ml of boiling water.
- Add diced tomatoes, salt and simmer over low heat until the rice absorbs the liquid. Finally, season with savory and finely chopped celery and parsley.
- In each cabbage leaf put 1-2 tablespoons of the stuffing and wrap the cabbage. Put the cut cabbage heads on the bottom of a wide saucepan. Arrange the cabbage rolls on them with the closed side down.
- Pour enough hot water to cover the sarma and squeeze them with a plate. After boiling, the dish is stewed for about 25 minutes on low heat under a lid.
Caution: Contains fresh celery, which may cause allergic reactions.